Our backyard used to be just a grassy fenced area, but over the past few weeks we put our paws to work to enhance our backyard in to an enrichment area. Our goal is to enrich Ossian & Koda’s lives and give them an area to stimulate their senses.
The garden contains 9 carefully chosen medicinal plants for self-selection, 5 textured surfaces, a small pool, a large tunnel, and an agility jump. It is designed to help them become more confident and encourage them to interact with their surroundings.
Herbs we included in our garden:
- Catnip-good for its relaxing properties and stimulates playfulness in dogs.
- Peppermint-good for its cooling properties and often selected by animals with skin irritations, helps with nausea and indigestion. Also helps freshen breath and helps relieves toothaches.
- Chamomile-often selected by anxious dogs and those with skin and stomach upsets.
- Thyme-selected by animals with bacterial infections, skin irritations and diarrhea.
- Parsley-helps with intestinal gas, freshens breath.
- Lemon Balm: strengthens memory and vitality, also calms the nervous system and soothes the stomach of highly anxious dogs.
- Lavender: elevates mood and is an antibacterial astringent, supports the nerve system, joints, respiratory tract and skin, and is a great flea and tick repellent.
- Rosemary: high in calcium, iron and vitamin B 6 and helps boost immune system
- Oregano: helps with digestion, diarrhea, and gas.
Multiple textures add interest to the yard, such as gravel, mulch, rubber, concrete and grass. The pee post gives Ossian (the marker) a place to call his own and hopefully help keep the grass green.
The agility jump and tunnel allow Ossian & Koda to build confidence and helps us strengthen our human/pet bond.
They have their own pool in which we keep fresh water and sometimes fill with buckets of ice, which Ossian LOVES.
We hope that our backyard will become our sanctuary in which we play, train, and enjoy life together. We want Ossian and Koda to be happier, healthier, and smarter, and we believe our enrichment backyard will help.